Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Super Easy S'more Pie

So, we had some impromptu family gatherings this weekend to celebrate my brother's 29th birthday and the fact that he was home visiting from Iowa. We went to my aunt's house this afternoon for a dinner cookout and I realized early this morning that I had nothing to bring - and no time to cook.
I tried to think of something simple, easy and yummy. I always stress about what to bring over to this particular aunt's house because she is a martha.. meaning her house is perfect, her food always tastes and looks amazing... so what does one bring to wow the martha herself...


Let me tell you... super easy s'more pie.. that's what.


I had the idea for this s'more pie this morning - I thought s'mores went with cookout food.. and even though I've never made it and didn't have a recipe, I thought it seemed fairly easy.


So this is what I did...


I bought graham cracker crumbs, mini marshmallows, 2 giant chocolate bars and marshmallow ice cream topping.


This is what I did:
I mixed the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and some sugar in a bowl until the crumbs were moistened. (You could just buy a pre-made crust - but remember we had a martha on our hands) So you pack the crumbs into the pie shell and bake it at 350 for about 8-10 minutes.

Then I took some of the mini marshmallows a spoonful of sugar and a little bit of the melted butter - but them all in a bowl and put it in the microwave for about 1 minute. I then mixed it up very well - it was super thick and sticky at this point. I also added a spoonful of the marshmallow topping. I bet you could go without this, but I didn't know what I was doing and just decided to add it. I spooned the mixture into the cooked pie shell - spreading it out as best I could. I then crumbled the 2 chocolate bars and spread the crumbs over the marshmallow mixture. I didn't think that looked "done enough" so I melted some more butter and stirred in some sugar and graham cracker crumbs and sprinkled the crumbles over the top of the chocolate. Then, I baked the pie @ 350 for about 18 minutes.





When I took it out of the oven it looked delicious! The chocolate was melty - you could see chocolate and marshmallow through the crumbly graham cracker topping. Yum!

Of course, the one downfall to pie is, you can't really test taste it before bringing it to the martha's house... so, I took a leap of faith and brought it with us... and it was a major success!!! It was just wonderful. It tasted just like a s'more. It made me think of summer and camping and bonfires and it was just incredible.



No comments: