Saturday, March 20, 2010

Have you Heard?

Have you heard? SPRING IS HERE!!! Can you tell I'm a trifle excited? I absolutely adore Spring (I'll most likely reiterate this statement when Summer comes and again in Fall, I'm a three seasons kind of girl). Spring really has that special something for me, my life seems to automatically improve once this season rolls around. There seem to be so many joys that come my way once Spring hits. My birthday is one glorious week away. Skirts and sandals come out of hibernation. Tank tops and ankle bracelets will soon be my everyday fashion. We'll soon get out the grill and sip chilled cocktails on the deck. And Salads and fruit start making up a much bigger portion of my diet than in previous months. Salads and fruit....Mmmm.....I'm salivating just thinking about all the wonderful possibilities. In fact, on my way home from church this evening I couldn't get one particular salad and fruit combo out of my mind.

Citrus Salad anyone? I don't normally endorse fruit on salad. But I have a weakness for a good fruit salad. I ran across this recipe (Possibly in Better Homes & Garden) towards the end of the Summer last year, I've not actually made it yet. But I have thought longingly of this recipe over the past six or seven months; waiting (not so patiently) for the next warm day when I could make this delicious looking treat. I've looked forward to packing a picnic, a good book, and heading with my hubby to the nearest park for the afternoon. Anyone want to join me in trying out a salad that promises "Fresh fruit with a hint of lime and mint is positively ambrosial."


Citrus Salad

To make simply assemble the following list of ingredients (Except coconut and pecans) and refrigerate the night before serving. This will allow time for the flavors to meld. Add the coconut and pecans right before serving.

Honey and Lime Drizzle - Stir together and juice of 1 lime and 2 Tbsp. of Honey.

Triple Citrus - One kind of Citrus is fine, but when you combine tangerines, oranges, and grapefruit the salad will have an intriguing blend of flavors.

Coconut - For texture and sweetness add wide-cut toasted coconut

Pecans - Sprinkle with fresh pecans, walnuts, or peanuts for crunch and contrast (I think I'll toast mine...)

Pineapple - Slices of fresh pineapple are a natural flavor compliment to the coconut.

Mint - The leaves release delicate flavor as the salad is chilled.


*I took all the descriptions from the recipe card that came in the magazine. Just FYI. :-)

No comments: