Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Secret Challenge


Teaming up with these three ladies has me doing things that had never before crossed my mind. A few months ago I had never thought about making soap (more to come on this later!!!). I had no inkling to make my own detergent. I was happy to use name-brand cleaning products. And I never thought about making deodorant. Now I'm excited to be a part of making all of these amazing products. Right now we're going to tackle the last item on the list of things I never thought I'd do but am now super excited about.

Today, we're taking the Secret Challenge.
First off, let me tell you that I am quite the girls girl. I don't like talking about anything unsavory, I don't like admitting to things that girls are not supposed to admit to (you know, all those things we know about boys and they talk freely about, but we pretend never happen with girls?). I've decided to put that aside for about five minutes and be completely honest with you. So here goes nothing...I stink. I've always felt as though my body chemistry adjusts pretty quickly to any one kind of deodorant. Which means that I have quite the stockpile of deodorants in my cabinets. Regular deodorants, clinical strength deodorants, all-natural deodorants, and even a mineral rock that you wet and rub over your skin as a deodorant. Suffice it to say, deodorant and smelling not-so-fresh is something I think about often (especially on those hot summer days when all I do is run around outside after small children at the CDC). I think I've found my answer, because I've been using this homemade
deodorant for a month now and at the end of every day I still feel fresh and clean, and can even occasionally still smell a hint of mint on my skin.

My Spice Jar filled with Homemade Peppermint Deodorant!


What You'll Need
  • 2 Tbsp cocoa butter
  • 3 Tbsp shea butter
  • 3 Tbsp baking soda
  • 2 Tbsp corn starch
  • 1 Tbsp liquid glycerin (optional)
  • 2 vitamin E oil capsules (Puncture & squeeze out the oil)
  • 15 drops of essential oil (we used Peppermint)

What You'll Do
  • Melt all ingredients (Except essential oil) in a pan on medium heat.
  • Make sure to stir to help the butters melt and combine
  • Remove from heat
  • Add essential oil, pour into a relatively small jar (We used glass spice jars)
  • Cool in the fridge for a bit then place it in your medicine cabinet until it fully solidifies and you are ready to use!

How You'll Use It
  • Just scoop out a small amount, rub it in, and voila!
Before we depart (and go back to thinking only kosher, girly thoughts) let me quickly give you a few troubleshooting tips:
  1. Don't worry if after you refrigerate the deodorant for a little while there is a small amount of oil on the top. Once it's been in your medicine cabinet for a day that will absorb/solidify.
  2. If you have sensitive skin (like me) you might want to make sure you wash off any leftover oils either at the end of your day or the start of a new day - you probably don't want two days worth of deodorant on over each other.
  3. I subscribe to the scrape-with-the-back-of-you-fingernail-method for extracting the amount of deodorant I need. I think another one of us just chopped the whole thing up and takes out bits and pieces as needed. Those are just a few ideas for you.
  4. We all found the peppermint smell far from overwhelming when the deodorant is used. It smells fresh and minty in the jar (or if you take a sniff while it's on), but I've not had anyone tell me I smell like a peppermint patty. (That one is more of a factoid that a tip.)



Okay now, back to thinking only happy thoughts about smelling like daisies (or in this case, mint chocolate).

No comments: