Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Bad Math

Ink Pen Plus Dryer Equals Disaster

That was my problem a few shorts weeks ago.  Either my husband or I had left an ink pen in a pair of pants.  (I won't tell you who it was....but feel free to guess.)  I have a strict rule at my house regarding laundry.  I will do all the laundry, all the time, requiring minimal help from Steve...so long as each of us empties our own pockets.  I don't check pockets.  If you have papers, chap stick, money, rubber bands, or anything else in your pockets it's your responsibility to empty them before sending them down the chute.  Your pants, your job.  Well, one of us failed.  Seriously.

The pen made it through the washer.  But not so much the dryer.  There was ink everywhere.  I mean E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E-!

So I looked up how to get ink out of a dryer.  There were tons of suggestions.  I went for easiest.  Which, unfortunately, was not so green.  I soaked a white towel in bleach and tossed it in the dryer.  I ended up needing to repeat this process about three times.  But it worked.  All ink is gone.  I simply needed to wipe down the dryer with a few damp towels after I was done bleaching it.  There was dry bleach residue all over the barrel of the dryer. 

The only change I would make if this situation occurred in my house again is the following: using an old any-color towel versus a perfectly good white one.  All that bleach ended up eating through my bath towel turning it into a holey rag.  Oh well.  :-)

No comments: