Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happy Birthday, Meredith!

Dear Meredith,

Happy Birthday!! I have been so privileged over the years to call you my friend. Remember when we first met? You were interviewing at the center and we went on a buggy ride!! Who knew then that 'the new girl' we were interviewing would go on to become one of my best friends??

Over the years, we've shared lots of things...tons and tons of chocolate, Starbucks runs, a carpool to work, a classroom, an insane amount of exasperated glances, an unbearable number of hours spent in faculty meetings, our fair share of Harry Potter analysis, and a billion laughs. Now that I don't see you at work everyday, I enjoy swinging by on my days off and hanging out with you and Gabe. I love our trips to Starbucks, the zoo, whatever. When we get together, I always have so much fun. I never knew on the day you interviewed that we would share such a great friendship.

And, since you got me into How I Met Your Mother, I have to say that we're like the main characters who can communicate whole paragraphs and concepts through facial expressions. I remember entire statements and remarks being conveyed through looks we shot each other across the classroom, or in those amazingly fun meetings. :c)

You and I have had discussions about the nature of family before, and I know we both agree that there is a family we are born with, and a family we choose. Not all family are friends, but many friends are family. I have been fortunate enough to consider you family for a long time, and I want to thank you for welcoming me into yours. I especially love being an Auntie to Gabe, which is a role I absolutely cherish and am honored to hold.

Happy birthday!! I love you, dearest!

Love,
Sondra 




Happy Birthday, Meredith!!

So, I have to admit that when I first met you, I wasn’t quite sure what to make of you. I remember that there was some sort of accident and you were stuck in traffic so I was sent to cover in your classroom – which I had never been in before – so I didn’t know the babies, parents or teachers! When you got to work – you were so nice and sweet and thanked me a million times, I remember thinking – who is this girl?! I think I had unfortunately assumed that since you were so nice – you must be a phony.

After getting to know Sondra, and then through her, getting to know you, I quickly learned that you really are just that sweet and nice and wonderful. It is refreshing to know somebody like you, who, always takes the higher road, very rarely spouts any negativity, and faces all of life’s challenges with beauty and grace.

I hope you have an amazing birthday Meredith, you deserve it!!

Lots of love,
Nicole
Mere,

Happy Birthday, Lovely. Mere, you are one of the most amazing people I have ever known, and knowing you has taught me so many things about the type of person I want to be...

...Working in your room I learned about the kind of teacher I wanted to be. You taught me so many things in our short time together in your room, I think of your amazing composition whenever those darling kids of mine get a little too darling.

...Seeing you interact and care for me and your friends showed me the type of friend I should strive to be for others. Compassionate and ever ready to love.

...Watching you with Gabe has taught me so many things about being a mother. Most simply; You are the type of mother I long to emulate.

...Talking about faith and watching your journey has (on more than one occasion) given me hope, convicted me, and forced me to look at my life through a different lens.

I've been meaning to tell you for awhile, and your birthday seems as good a time as any: Thank You. Thank you for always being there when I need something, for being such a lovely example of what it means to be a beautiful, young, striving, Christian Mother. Most of all, thank you for trusting me with some of your story. I appreciate what it takes to let someone see the hard times, mistakes, and hurt. Let me assure you, the parts of your story that may not be pretty and all shined up for the world to see are the parts that make me love you all the more. They only stand to show your growth and beauty in more brilliant light. You are lovely, Happy Birthday.

~Meg 

No comments: