Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pecan Tarts

It's taking a lot for me to share this recipe with you.  These are my absolute favorite cookies in all the world.  And here's the thing - I kinda hate sharing my favorite recipes.  I like being known as the person who makes amazing (fill in the blank).  But here's the other thing, I'm making these this week for Mere's Garage Sale, so I thought it would be only right to give these blessed cookies to the rest of the world.  Besides, it's really my mother's recipe, so she's the one who makes amazing Pecan Tarts.


And really, these tarts are Ridiculously Amazing.  Seriously.  And they bring out the absolute worst in me.  Put a plate of these cookies in front of me and I will immediately embody at least four deadly sins.

First, as my loving husband knows, if you try to touch just one of my Pecan Tarts without express permission you will incur an amazing amount of wrath.  They're mine, so back off.

Second, Greed.  As I said, they're all mine and I don't share them very well, so just back off and go find your own.  My Mom always makes us huge batches of Christmas Cookies, and inevitably Pecan Tarts make up a large portion of the cookies we get.  I (begrudgingly) set aside a few for Steve.  The rest are mine.  (The cookies pictured above were in my freezer, I took them out for their photo shoot.  I think I'll probably eat them before Steve gets home from work.  I'm banking on him not reading this, he'll never know.  Don't you dare tell him either, see Deadly Sin One for what will become of you if he finds out.)


Third, Pride.  I have learned how to make these from my Mother, and they are amazing.  I love compliments on them - although I rarely get any because I don't share.

And lastly, Gluttony.  If it were permissible I would sit down and eat an entire batch.  Pecan Tarts are not only a fabulous desert, but they make a lovely breakfast.  :-)  Especially with a good book and a cup of coffee.  I can't say it enough, but these are the best cookies in the entire world.  I seriously hope that all the Pecan Tarts I make for Mere find their way from South Euclid to Elyria.  It will be a giant test of my self control and of our friendship.  Mere, you might want to call me a few times on my way to deliver them.

Okay, here we go...
The World's Best Pecan Tarts
Consider Yourselves Extremely Lucky

It's a Two Step Process.  First make the Tart Shells.  

1/2 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Sugar
Stir In
2 Egg Yolks
1 tsp. Almond Extract
2 Cups Flour
Press Evenly into Tiny Tartshells.
Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes.

Next Comes the Pecan Filling.

Bring to Boil
1/2 Cup Butter
1/3 Cup Karo Dark Corn Syrup
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
Stir In
1 Cup Chopped Pecans.
Spoon into Shells and top with Pecan Halves.
Bake at 350 for 5 minutes.

Ridiculously Amazing.  I need to go,  Steve will be home any minute and  I have to eat those tarts.

No comments: