Thursday, July 8, 2010

Homemade Tortilla Chips!

Chips and salsa is probably one of my all time favorite snacks, and lets face it, sometimes meals. In comparison to other snacks, it isn’t horribly fattening, but those tortilla chips can be pretty bad for you. I tried experimenting with making my own low fat, low sodium chips, and I have to say they are pretty tasty!!

Ingredients:
Low Car Whole Wheat Tortillas (or whatever you like)

1 tablespoon butter
Taco Seasoning (use as much or as little as you like – I usually use about 2 teaspoons)


I mixed the butter and the taco seasoning together (if you use an unsalted butter you might want to add a pinch of salt) and lightly butter one side of the tortillas (you can butter both for an extra tasty chip, but I was trying to be light on the butter). I used 3 smaller tortillas. After buttering, I used my handy dandy kitchen scissors and cut the tortillas into smaller pieces.


I then put them on a cookie sheet and baked them for about 20 minutes @ 325 degrees. I flipped them halfway through. I’ve also done this using my electric skillet.


They are SO delicious if you eat them while they are still warm and paired with your favorite homemade salsa!!


*Tip – if you are serving these – they will lose their crunch if they sit out for a while, and just become cold and floppy – not the best for a chip. If you just throw them back in the oven for a few minutes, they will crisp right up!!


No comments: