Friday, July 16, 2010

REpurposed vhs cases!!

I work in an Outreach Services Department of a public library – which means I get to drive the big bookmobiles! This also means I have to organize all the books inside of the big bookmobiles – which can be a lot less fun than one would think. We visit child care centers and elementary schools and have limited time with the students while they are on the bookmobile, making it virtually impossible to help every single student find the perfect book. Many of the students come onto the bookmobile knowing exactly what they want – these tend to be the students who want the Barbie, Disney, Spongebob etc type of books – not always the greatest of literature – but at least they are reading! Anyway, I tried to come up with ways of organizing these books that made it easier for the students to find the books on their own. I also had zero budget for this project, so I knew the fancy series labels I dreamed about were not going to ever become a reality.

I decided to use the large amount of old empty VHS cases (remember those) to turn them into beautiful series labels.

I printed labels with the title of the series and a picture of an easily identifiable image that goes along with the series (to help my not yet readers). I taped 2 VHS cases together long ways – taped the label on one of the spines and viola! a series label!!!


















They ended up looking spectacular and the students just loved being able to find their own book.


 
I was also happy that I was able to reuse something that would have typically just been thrown away!!







No comments: